Saturday 31 March 2012

Here I am...

...on the transplant ward.  I arrived yesterday at 1:00 in the afternoon.  I got the information that they had a bed ready for me on Thursday.  Even though I've been preparing for this, the finality of leaving my family was very hard.  I put on a brave face for my children, and they took the departure very well, which was a huge relief.  I was able to keep my cool until we left the driveway, then I fell apart :(

The admission process was pretty uneventful.  The room is definitely the hotel version of the hospital.  All room on this ward are private (to prevent the spread of infections; a huge concern as my immune system will be wiped out).  I have a nice big window, and my own bathroom.   The nurses are all super nice :) Nurse Ratchet would definitely not be allowed here!

Waiting to get here seemed like being on a huge ship navigating the waves, knowing that the land ahead would be the battleground.  On that ocean voyage the swell of the water rising up to meet the ship as it travelled here to this new land gave plenty of time for reflection.  How would the battle ahead be?  Would it start right after coming ashore?  The battle looming ahead seemed surreal.

I already had a chemo treatment yesterday.  It went well, I didn't feel sick.  I did get a post-chemo headache, and I felt pretty tired.  I am in fact hooked up to chemo treatment number two right now...and another one will come at 11:00 this morning.  I think it's only 2 today.  I will have chemo for the next 4 days.  It will probably be grueling.  I wonder what side effects I will get, and how bad will they be.

All the saints in heaven are with me, your prayers are lifting me up, and I am summoning the strength of Boadicea (ancient warrior queen circa AD 60), and the courage of William Wallace (Braveheart).

The battle has begun in earnest:  The chemo has been initiated...there is no turning back.  Treatment is the juggernaut put into motion, it's rolling down the hill to rock bottom where it will go uphill on the road to recovery.  I am intertwined with this juggernaut.  Scarily exhilarating. 



P.S.  I added two other entries to my blog to catch up on the last month.  Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment